It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:37 am

Finding a Religion text book for 10-11 year olds 

New post Finding a Religion text book for 10-11 year olds
I am aware that time is running out and we have,sadly, little time for questions.
Does anyone know of or remember a really good and inspiring text book for religion for the 9/10/11 year olds ? I am aware of the old Catechisms, for example, Fr Louis Morrow's My Catholic Faith, in re-printed form. As Fr Edward Leen C.S.Sp. wrote a long time ago, whilst the Catechism is essential and informing it is hardly inspiring. Does anyone know of an anglophone religion text book, maybe from the 1940s-1950s which could be used to fire and inspire the 10-11 years group ?
I would be grateful for any ideas.
Thanks you very much.
Alan Robinson

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Finding a Religion text book for 10-11 year olds
Ardmacha wrote:
I am aware that time is running out and we have,sadly, little time for questions.
Does anyone know of or remember a really good and inspiring text book for religion for the 9/10/11 year olds ? I am aware of the old Catechisms, for example, Fr Louis Morrow's My Catholic Faith, in re-printed form. As Fr Edward Leen C.S.Sp. wrote a long time ago, whilst the Catechism is essential and informing it is hardly inspiring. Does anyone know of an anglophone religion text book, maybe from the 1940s-1950s which could be used to fire and inspire the 10-11 years group ?
I would be grateful for any ideas.
Thanks you very much.
Alan Robinson

Allan:

I don't know about your childrens' emotional makeup, but I know that in own my case I found those books that didn't directly address the Catholic Faith to be much more apt to increase my conciousness of our Faith than Catechisms.

Those were books on those heroes of our Faith, such as the Martyrs, the various saints, etc.

I found Joan Windham's books on the various saints to be particulary uplifting at that age, as is the ORIGINAL Butler's Lives of the Saints, which has been reprinted in 4 volumes.

Some of the books by G. K. Chesterton are also valuable in this way. William Thomas Walsh's books on various Saints and Catholic causes should be included.

That version of Butler's which was edited by Atwater and (that other fellow) is only fit to be burned, but the ORIGINAL one is extremely valuable.

These sorts of books taught me the practical applications of the things we learned in the Catechism, coupled with deeds of valor. Many of them are most exciting and make many aspects of our Faith very easily remembered.

There is another book, written by a nun who did considerable research on it, which describes the history of a Scottish clan, the Gordons, who were severely persecuted for their faith, and, eventually, driven from the Highlands to America. The great respect shown to Our Lady, the Blessed Eucharist, priests, the rosary, etc, are all very well illustrated, and the story is really exciting.

I cannot now remember the name or author as I am at work. However, if you will e-mail me at my direct address, I will e-mail the information back to you from home.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks Ken.
I know the book written by the American Nun and of course cannot remember her name, The Outlaws of Ravenhurst is the title,I think. One of my pupils is very keen on it. I agree that literature and srt is a major way of coming to grips with the faith.I teach a small group of children in a Home school co-operative and am looking for ideas for a text book, which I could search for, perhaps from the 1930-50s period. I don't know what was really good. The old Scottish catechism (1950) was excellent and in many ways far better than its English counterpart. I'll keep looking. Fr Emmanuel Andre (Mesnil st Loup) had a Family Catechism (1890s ?) which is said to be very good, but it remains in French.
Alan Robinson
feast of St ignatius Loyola

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 am
Profile E-mail

The Story of the Church
Her Founding, Mission and Progress
A Textbook of Church History TAN books, about 520 pages. The whole enchilada, my boy loved using this book.

I love the Living My Religion series, with the awesome Teacher's Manual, expensive but worth it. A joy to work with.

Outlaws of Ravenhurst loved by all kids. The Narnia series,we are reading the first one aloud: The Magician's Nephew" This story ROCKS, and is perfect for those teaching moments. Even though your 10-11 year old can read it himself, this will be one of the joys of parenthood to read aloud.

God bless you and your kids, Alan.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail

The Human Person: Dignity Beyond Compare and Called to Happiness: Guiding Ethical Principles by the solidly Thomist Sr. Terese Auer, O.P., are the best highschool religion textbooks I've seen.

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail