It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Printing PDF Books 

New post Printing PDF Books
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any good advice for printing books in PDF format (esp. the ones on this site).

I've downloaded quite a few but I'd really like to not have to stare at the screen for hours on end. I'm looking for a method that is economic on paper, while maintaining readability and especially highlight and note friendly.

I know that paper wise, printing in a "booklet" format is best since you get four pages per sheet of paper. However, I'm not sure how I would bind them, and since the ink is on both sides of the paper, it could potentially obstruct the readability and highlighting may be a mess.

Initially I thought of just printing each page and putting it in a three ring binder, but that seems like an excessive waste of paper.

Any proven methods?

Thanks.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:16 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Printing PDF Books
Mithrandylan,

To save on paper, have you considered double-sided printing?

The Print dialog in MS Word has a drop-down box from which you can choose to print the odd pages only or the even pages only. Thus, having printed a batch of the odd pages you turn them over, reload them and print the even pages.

That’s the principle, but to avoid collation problems it might be best to do the second run by manual feed.

I've done this on a laser printer, but to avoid paper jams on the second run, I have left the stack of odd pages under a weighted board for a few days, to get rid of any distortion in the sheets caused by heat when going through the fuser.

To further minimise bulk, a thermal binder is worth considering.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Get a Kindle Touch. Then download the books you can in the right format from archive.org. The others you can still read in pdf on Kindle, if memory serves. I don't use mine much, but I have done so in the past and it's brilliant. Not like looking at a computer screen.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail

John,

Ironically, my thread was made in response to not finding the Kindle conducive to such books. I bought it with the express intent of housing all my Catholic resources, but the problems in format that I often experienced with books from archive or elsewhere, coupled with the cumbersome gathering and organizing of highlights made me quickly realize that the Kindle was more suited to recreational reading. You're right, it really is a wonder to read off of, I just find it more of a hassle than anything when it comes to Catholic books.

Maybe I wasn't patient enough with it.

Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Try using http://www.lulu.com/.

Sat May 10, 2014 5:53 pm