It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:27 am

Arnaldo Xavier da Silveira - Sedevacantism an "Error" 

New post Arnaldo Xavier da Silveira - Sedevacantism an "Error"
Some have read da Silveira's work on St. Robert Bellarmine and the heretic pope question, published in 1970. Recently, Mr. da Silveira wrote a letter to Gerhard Ludwig Müller. Here is an excerpt for that letter:

"1. I am not, nor have I ever been sede-vacantist even if some inattentive commentators have sought to see traits of sede-vacantism in the study on the theological possibility of a heretical Pope, which is part of my book, La Nouvelle Messe de Paul VI, Qu’en Penser? (1) Based on sound traditional dogmatic theology, regarding the Pontificates of the last decades, I do not see how it would be theologically possible to declare the See of Peter vacant at any moment. (2) If Divine Providence gives me the strength, I will soon publish a study on the theological errors of current sede-vacantist theories.

2. For every Catholic careful of his faith, the Pope is the "sweet Christ on earth," the pillar and foundation of the truth. However, great Saints, Doctors and Popes admit the possibility of the Pope falling into error and even heresy. And one cannot rule out the theological possibility that such a failing can occur in official documents of the Pope and in Councils with the Pope. (3)"

Source: http://www.traditioninaction.org/HotTop ... lveira.htm

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Arnaldo Xavier da Silveira - Sedevacantism an "Error"
Mr. da Silveira says later in the letter:

"Finally, I know that the orientation Archbishop Müller has adopted toward traditionalists and progressivists is not the dominant one in many Vatican circles and, above all, it is not that of Benedict XVI. All this, however, does not diminish the enormous importance of his statement."

If any of us look at what e.g. St. Pius X said about true devotion to the pope, we cannot truly treat Ratzinger as our Sweet Christ on Earth without embracing his heresies and errors. We have to accept communion in the hand, altar girls, a Cranmerian liturgy, stripped down churches that do not resemble Catholic churches, schools, colleges, and seminaries that pervert the Faith, and so on.

We would have to accept the quasi-indifferentism of Mother Theresa, the giving of communion to Roger of Taizé, etc.

It is of Faith that what God has revealed cannot change and is true, because He is unchanging and true. Yet, to somehow say that the conciliar usurpers are Catholic popes would mean to sugar coat or sweep away everything since the dreadful council, or to adopt a position not grounded in Catholic Tradition.

Another good example is the recently published sermon of Fr. Faber on devotion to the pope.

Let us pray to Our Lord that He deign to end this crisis, and that we truly have a man who is His vicar on earth.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 am
Profile E-mail

Interesting. I read the highlighted title within the article and found the associated article just as interesting. But where will it lead? I fail to see how v2 can be anything other than scrapped.

I do see more conservative-minded prelates in the conciliar church, particularly the 25-35 year olds. Likewise, I see many NO families drawn to the TLM, even if indult. My hope is that this will lead to good things, if God so wills it.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail

The error of those who think that the Conciliar church can be reformed from within is that that they fail to grasp that we cannot erase Vatican II's heresies and errors. Once the Church teaches, it cannot be retracted, and if the Church taught heresy it would have defected.

Paul VI approved the texts of Vatican II and by doing that taught the universal Church heresy and error. An act such as this is impossible as Catholics are bound to receive with docility the universal teaching of the Pope, and in this case, it was the universal teaching of the "Pope" in union with the moral consensus of the bishops of the world.

There can be no reform of the Council, and there is no way to reform the Conciliar church to create a new orthodox interpretation of the Council. There is only one way out of this, and that is to recognize that Paul VI at least on December 7th, 1965 was not the Pope. He either fell that day due to his public heresy or he was never Pope to begin with.

All of the other solutions fail to take this into account. There is no way to work within a system that has defected and failed and is not the Church. To solve the crisis, Catholics need to identify where the Church is today, the hierarchy, clergy and the laity and work for a solution in the manner that the Church gives to us. There is no other way.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm
Site Admin

Fascinating. The man is still alive!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

And he has a Web site: http://www.arnaldoxavierdasilveira.com/

The domain was registed in December 2011. The first of his two articles was published then, according to TIA.

It would be absolutely fascinating to hear him explain how, a) St. Robert "admitted" the possibility of an heretical pope, when he explicitly denied the possibility, b) the Doctors who dealt with this question did so "without any sedevacantist connotation", when the contrary is manifestly the case, and c) what he thinks that Bishop de Castro Mayer meant when he walked about on the day of the episcopal consecrations in 1988 saying "We have no pope."

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 am
Profile E-mail

Is this particular Silveira possibly an acquaintance of the Dr. Plineo Oliveira who, I think, began the TFP? In any case, I find both of them to be less than satisfactory...

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail