It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm

St. Alphonsus on Mary and the Holy Souls in Purgatory 

New post St. Alphonsus on Mary and the Holy Souls in Purgatory
As the month of the Holy Souls draws to a close, and some of us may be getting distracted in anticipation of our Thanksgiving Turkey, I thought I'd pass on some wisdom of St Alphonsus that was passed on to me recently. :-)

These are three excerpts taken from "The Glories of Mary" by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, Chap. VIII, Sect. II, "Mary succours her Clients in Purgatory", Pg. 205-211, Tan Books, 1977.

"The Divine Mother once addressed these words to St. Bridget: 'I am the Mother of all souls in Purgatory; for all the pains that they have deserved for their sins are every hour, as long as they remain there, in some way mitigated by my prayers.'

The Blessed Virgin herself told the Saint [Bridget], 'that as a poor sick person, bedridden, suffering, and abandoned, is relieved by words of encouragement and consolation, so are the souls in purgatory consoled and relieved by only hearing her name.'

And if we wish to relieve the holy souls in purgatory, let us do so by imploring the aid of our Blessed Lady in all our prayers, and especially by offering the Rosary for them, as that relieves them greatly..."

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:12 pm