It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am

COMMUTATION FOR THE SABBATINE PRIVILEGE 

New post COMMUTATION FOR THE SABBATINE PRIVILEGE
Dear all,

This is from the American Ecclesiastical Review VOL. CVI 1942 page 389. Is there anyone who has knowledge of a priest that has the faculties described below?

Thanks,

Lance

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

COMMUTATION FOR THE SABBATINE PRIVILEGE.

To the Editor, The Ecclesiastical Review:

Recently the Carmelite Ordo for 1942 was issued from Rome with an appendix of instructions on the Brown Scapular. While reading it through cursorily with the superior feeling of a person who" knows all there is to know," I received a rude, a very rude shock.
Contrary to common belief, all priests do not have the right to commute the conditions attached to the sabbatine Privilege. In a book which has recently been read quite extensively by the clergy, but of which I am not at the moment so proud to claim authorship, this common misbelief is perpetuated.
The prime and unalterable condition for the Sabbatine Privilege is the observance of chastity according to one's state; the secondary condition has an alternative: one must say the Little Office or, if he cannot read, he must abstain from flesh meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays and strictly observe all Church fasts.
To commute the daily recitation of the Office into abstinence on Wednesdays and Saturdays one must have a special faculty, a faculty not even contained in the faculty for enrolling in the Scapular.
Confusion arises from the fact that all confessors, regardless of Scapular faculties, have the right to commute abstinence on Wednesdays and Saturdays into some other pious work or prayer. All confessors have this right, however, only if the person for whom the commutation is made already has permission, obtained from a priest with the proper faculty, to substitute this abstinence on Wednesdays and Saturdays for the recitation of the Office.
It is not easy to say: “I was in error.” It is particularly difficult for the present writer because he took very great pains to document the book Mary in Her Scapular Promise, bringing five years of research to the work and making absolutely no definite, important statement that was not from a worthy source. He went to all these pains in view of the very fact that the Scapular Devotion has so often been unscientifically treated and so generally relegated to the shadows of " tradition", frequently even to the darker shades of "legend". Thoughtful Catholicity fairly cried out for a scholarly yet tender study of Mary's great gift of a Sign of Salvation.
The fear of wounding confidence in this work, therefore makes admission even of this error a difficult matter. Yet I have chosen to address myself to the ECCLESIASTICAL REVIEW because I know, since my communication last August on the invalidity of felt scapulars, how effective such a communication to the clergy will be: and yet, while making the admission, I can call attention to the fact that my source for the error was a Carmelite manual which treated scientifically of Carmelite privileges and their Conditions; it is the latest work of its kind and was published not only after officially sponsored research but with the very highest approbation of the Carmelite Order. In using it on this one subject of indulgences and privileges, I was confident I had to look no further. One can see how widespread the error must be to have become a statement in such a “ source” work. Needless to say, correction has been made in the Second Edition of Mary in Her Scapular Promise, just off the press, and it is the writer's hope that this error, which seems to have been the only serious one to appear in the first edition, will not dim the light which it is the author's hope that this book will shed on our centuries-old devotion to Mary, in Her Scapular Promise.

JOHN M. HAFFERT.

New York. City.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:33 pm