It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 pm

1941—REVISED CATHOLIC EDITION (U.S.A) 

New post 1941—REVISED CATHOLIC EDITION (U.S.A)
Is the above edition any good? Does anyone know why some bible quotes I read in the Baltimore Catechism of 1955 seem off a bit?

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: 1941—REVISED CATHOLIC EDITION (U.S.A)
Wait is that a confraternity edition bible or a Catechism you are talking about? I am a bit confused.

When it comes to scripture quotes, the general principle is translations so long as they do not take away the intended literal meaning are okay. Even the King James (sadly they took away 6 books), is not too bad our modern Douay Rheims is not that different from our Bible (the most important part to distinguish is the verses which the protestants dispute). The reason why I say modern, it is the Challoner edition which is quite different from the Original Douay Rheims. The Original Douay is extremely faithful to the Latin, it is a literal translation so because of that it has many of the Latin-ism’s of the Vulgate. The Vulgate particularly because it was also a very literal translation of the Hebrew has many of its own Hebrew-ism’s. This is why Scripture exegesis is sometimes necessary, when you are getting to the nitty gritty details, but the Church has told us solemnly that the Vulgate is good enough for any moral content in the translation. What it is saying is that, whether Moses had a red, or brown shirt will be accidental and not change the moral essence of the message. When it comes to faith and morals, the Vulgate is the most faithful sometimes even then the Greek. The Vulgate was a translation made from much earlier original sources, and we have some pretty late manuscripts. This is something even modern protestants are starting to recognize, but as always Holy Mother Church knows best. The reformers were wrong, and now we have the actual modern academic studies that prove it so. Not sure if I just rambled on, but hopefully I answered something :lol: .

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:43 am
Profile E-mail