It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 pm

New Age Catholicism? 

New post New Age Catholicism?
I am a current member of Mt St Michael's traditional Catholic Church, in Spokane, WA and have been for 40+ years now. One of the dear CMRI sisters, that recently came to join CMRI convent from another small traditional Catholic order in town, and I were visiting one day. She laughingly noted that the small group she came from has been in the habit of noting to others that MSM is a part of the New Age Catholicism Movement, and should be avoided. Needless to say, I am still attending MSM, and intend to remain doing so. She was, called away from our conversation, soon after sharing this bit of info,and I just want to fill in the blanks so, Please pardon my ignorance, and please refrain from :lol: ...what is this New Age Catholicism Movement of which she speaks? :? I am not familiar with it, please, if anyone else is, explain it, especially in reference to the traditional Catholicism that Mt St Michael's seemingly practices.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: New Age Catholicism?
You won't get any :lol: from me. The New Age movement is very serious...it is seriously evil.

Perhaps someone can explain what, precisely, the New Age Movement--or, the New Age Catholicism Movement--is better than I can. Taken from Wikipedia (which is usually a reliable source for issues relating to popular culture), the New Age Movement is:

Quote:
...a Western religious or spiritual movement that developed in the 1970s. Its central precepts have been described as "drawing on both Eastern and Western spiritual and metaphysical traditions and infusing them with influences from self-help and motivational psychology". The term New Age refers to the coming astrological Age of Aquarius.

The movement aims to create "a spirituality without borders or confining dogmas" that is inclusive and pluralistic. It holds to "a holistic worldview", emphasising that the Mind, Body, and Spirit are interrelated and that there is a form of monism and unity throughout the universe. It attempts to create "a worldview that includes both science and spirituality" and embraces a number of forms of mainstream science as well as other forms of science that are considered fringe.

The actual article on the New Age Movement is actually quite long, but suffice it to say that it blends Eastern spirituality and philosophies, such as, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, etc. with Western Christian spirituality and philosophy. In many ways it could be considered a revival of Gnosticism. Much of the Environmental Movement and the "Free Love" Movement is based on the New Age Movement. Most of the UFO and alien encounters that are claimed (and, frankly, the Coast-to-Coast radio show) is heavily influenced by the New Age.

New Age Catholicism, is part and parcel of this kind of thought. In Indiana, we have a monastery of Novus Ordo nuns that teach Yoga. We have Novus Ordo convents that have these spirituality mazes (they have a name, but I forget what it is) and they teach Centering Prayer, which is taught today as a complete clearing of the mind. I've seen advertisements in the past for Transcendental Meditation, when it was popular, at Novus Ordo churches. The Dali Lama would be completely at home with "New Age Catholicism".

These women who condemn Mount Saint Michael's for being a part of the New Age Catholicism movement are simply calumniating a good group. Since Mount St. Michael's practices Catholicism, it is as far from the New Age Movement as it can possibly be. If there was anything about the CMRI that even remotely involved the New Age Movement, I would never have allowed my daughter to enter the convent there.

So, in reference to the traditional Catholicism practiced at Mount St. Michael's, there is absolutely nothing in connection with the New Age Movement, Catholic or otherwise. Those women will have a lot to answer for and they need prayers.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Yes I am pretty sure that they might have been referring to the Schuckardt days, but even then it was not "New age." I have no idea of what she is talking about, its all pure non-sense to be honest with you. You were officially trolled in real life :lol: , now if you were playing close attention someone might have been recording you. Thats the only way I can sometimes explain to myself, the sort of cognitive dissonance some Novus Ordites cause me or even sometimes traditional Catholics (such as your case).

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Thank you both for your replies.
Although I was a child for many of the the Schuckardt years, Jorge, I do remember vividly much of the drama that came with those years. New Age? I don't think so. While there are some residual effects of those years that continues to exist up there at MSM, New Age is not something I think they are leaning toward, as the anti-Schuckardt era. I really think that conversation recording with the dear Sisters is not one of the things most of us 'old timers' really need to feel threatened by today. :wink:
As I mentioned, I will continue to attend Mass at Mt St Michaels, knowing that most of the information coming from the source who notes the horrors of the New Age Catholicism at MSM exists, as well as other such things are basically useless to those who hear it. The priests and religious connected with MSM are good people, I know that in my heart.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail

It is interesting to me that I only hear two complaints against the CMRI and Mount St. Michael's.

The first kind of complaint is simply lies: People just make stuff up and declare it to be the problem with the CMRI. It's always easy to build a straw-man CMRI that can be knocked over with tiniest tap. One can see this tactic against the CMRI on CathInfo almost any time someone complains about them.

The second kind of complaint states that the CMRI is too liberal. They are considered liberal, I think, because they won't make declaratory decisions on issues that were not settled prior to Vatican 2. In other words, the complaint is that they won't assume an authority over the faithful that they don't really have in order to anathematize people who disagree with what is thought they should believe as some traditional communities are wont to do.

I confess that the charge of being New Age is one that I've not heard before--and, frankly, it is the most absurd lie I've heard to date!

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

TKGS. I appreciate your input. Clearly these people are "just making stuff up and declaring it to be the problem with the CMRI. It's always easy to build a straw-man". Unfortunately, my kid brother is 'mixed up with these people' to the point that he has deified them, at their insistence. Also, as public knowledge, for those who know personally (and have had personal contact with) this group, they have essentially demanded of their local parishioners to loath and despise anything as well as avoid everything CMRI/MSM--including bishop, priests, religious and laity. This includes lack of Mass attendance, when the pastor of this group is unable to provide Mass and the sacraments, due to continued very poor health. This refers to another posting/inquiry I made, as to attending Mass under duress, and its serious sinfulness. While many of the parishioners have been encouraged by outside sources (that do not include MSM/CMRI) to attend MSM Masses, loyal supporters of this group refuse to do so, under the guise of "New Age Catholic Movement" accusations toward MSM and the mortal sin committed if attending Mass under duress. Since many of their (now former) parishioners have left the group, frustrated and confused, to attend CMRI/MSM, these specific demands and comments becomes quite curious. This info, from what my brother has told me, is public knowledge within the group, and not gossip that is being spread around. They need many prayers on their behalf.
Over the past 41 years, I have heard many of the complaints against MSM. This "New Age Catholic Movement" had me stumped and needed to understand it further. Thank you to all who have helped me understand its meaning and lack of reference to MSM/CMRI.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail