It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 am

Traditional Roman Catholic Priests and Parishioners 

New post Traditional Roman Catholic Priests and Parishioners
This may sound like a very trite question, but it is one that has entered my mind in recent days, to which I have not found an answer that offered an adequate answer that made any sense. For the past 40+ years that I have been a part of my current parish, it has been heavily emphasized that we are "traditional Roman Catholics". A priest, who many years ago left our local Spokane traditional Roman Catholic parish, yet stayed in the area, functioning as a traditional Roman Catholic priest, has recently made over the pulpit an emphatic statement that he now wishes to separate himself from the local traditionalist movement, and no longer wishes to define himself as such. He more recently removed the word traditional from his parish title to "Roman Catholic Church". In asking to explain more thoroughly his specific stand, he is quite evasive. It is just one word, I know. Is there a difference in definition between A Roman Catholic Church and a traditional Catholic Church? (I hope this makes sense :?: )

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Traditional Roman Catholic Priests and Parishioners
First, what's the name of this parish? Is it a parish of the Spokane dioceses?

It does seem that there is a growing dislike of using adjectives in front of Catholic. After all, to be Catholic is to be, by definition, traditional. I think it is important, however, to use these adjectives simply because the Conciliar sect has co-opted the very name "Catholic" even though it teaches different doctrines, has different rites, a different calendar, and is, in short, a different church altogether even though there are still (I believe) many Catholics unwittingly attending it, though that number is, I think, dwindling.

But saying that one wishes to "separate from the traditional movement" is, I think, troubling. What does he want to be united with? The Conciliar diocese? A particular group? Does he just want to be totally independent? Will he remain traditional? If his speech is other than "Yea Yea, No No", then he speaks with the devil's tongue. I wouldn't trust him. If he is part of the Spokane diocese, I wouldn't trust him in the first place.

In short, the traditional Roman Catholic Church is the Roman Catholic Church. It's just sometimes confusing because there are a lot of people out there claiming to be Roman Catholic who have rejected the Catholic Faith--and most of them go to the Novus Ordo.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:10 pm

TKGS wrote:
First, what's the name of this parish? Is it a parish of the Spokane dioceses?

But saying that one wishes to "separate from the traditional movement" is, I think, troubling. What does he want to be united with? The Conciliar diocese? A particular group? Does he just want to be totally independent? Will he remain traditional? If his speech is other than "Yea Yea, No No", then he speaks with the devil's tongue. I wouldn't trust him. If he is part of the Spokane diocese, I wouldn't trust him in the first place.

In short, the traditional Roman Catholic Church is the Roman Catholic Church. It's just sometimes confusing because there are a lot of people out there claiming to be Roman Catholic who have rejected the Catholic Faith--and most of them go to the Novus Ordo.

Thank you for your reply TKGS...
No, the parish, as I understand it is not under the Spokane Dioceses. The parish is going through some very challenging times; this specific priest was 'fired' from his original parish, and is starting over, with marginal support from his former parish. As to the name of the new parish, I am very uncertain, other than his notation in correspondence (regarding starting anew) with other of avoiding at all cost the word 'traditional' in its title.

The questions you asked above, are the very ones this priest avoids answering, which adds to the 'drama' of the circumstances. Emphasis being placed on wanting to separate from the traditional movement, as you noted, is troubling to many of those to whom I have expressed a concern. Many of the area Diocesan Vatican 2 parishes note "Roman Catholic Church", making dramatic points to avoid the word traditional in any fashion as well. I do not know that this priest is resorting to V2 practices. I want to go on record in noting that.

I know it is merely a word, and should avoid getting caught up in that one word. It is just interesting that he has now, nearly 30 years after his ordination, and placing sincere emphasis on being traditional Catholic during those years, that now the word is emphatically being removed from reference in the vocabulary.
I hope this makes sense :oops:

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Perhaps he simply isn't well and needs prayers?

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:07 am
Profile E-mail