It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm

A most excellent book... 

New post A most excellent book...
I finally began reading what turned out to be a most excellent book entitled, "A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture" by a German Bishop Knecht, published in German apparently in 1910 to begin with, then going through 18 subsequent editions, and finally translated into English with the 12th edition.

We have owned the book for a number of years, but I had put in the "to be read" stack, and only began reading it a week or so ago.

Its name is misleading: what it actually is is, essentially, a complete history of the True Religion, tied very closely to the Bible and its history, beginning with Genesis, showing very accurately how every thing that God did relates to Christ and to the Catholic Church.

It is written in a format that is most suitable for teaching children. It is divided up into fairly short chapters, and it has exhortations related to the things shown in that chapter at the end of each.

I really wish we had had this book while your children were growing up. It would have been an invaluable aid to teaching them their Catholic Faith.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who is home-schooling their children, or who wishes to teach their children the Faith and how to practice it fully. I can also recommend it highly to converts and to anyone who really wishes to learn as much as possible about their Faith. It is truly fascinating and I have learned much from it, although I am less than half way through the book.

One thing brought very clearly to my mind was the truly incredible holiness and wisdom, not only of God, but also of his saints, including those in the Old Testament.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: A most excellent book...
Ken,

I have this book as well and I agree; it is MOST EXCELLENT! One of the best Catholic books I've read. I actually just finished reading it about two weeks ago. I usually read just one chapter a day (which is usually 3-5 pages). I imagine I'll pick it up again in a couple of months and start at the beginning again. Another book that I feel is a great tool for parents (or anyone really) is The Catechism Explained by Rev. Francis Spirago. I think the full title is: The Catechism Explained- An Exhaustive Exposition of the Catholic Religion. Described as: "A Practical Manual for the use of the preacher, the catechist, the teacher, and the family"

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: A most excellent book...
Thanks for this, Ken. Below is an online link to the book.

God bless,

Lance

https://archive.org/details/apracticalcommen00knecuoft

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:41 pm