It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 am

Cardinals Billot and Merry del Val argue against a council. 

New post Cardinals Billot and Merry del Val argue against a council.
Cardinal Billot said:
Quote:
Finally, here is the most serious reason, the one which would seem to me absolutely to militate for a negative reply. Resuming the Council is desired by the worst enemies of the Church, the modernists, who are already getting ready—as quite certain indications reveal—to profit from the estates general of the Church in order to make revolution, a new '89, the object of their dreams and hopes. They will not succeed, of course, but we would see again those very sad days of the end of the pontificate of Leo XIII and of the beginning of that of Pius X; we would see things even worse, and it would annihilate the happy fruits of the Encyclical Pascendi which silenced them all.
Billot was also especially fearful that
Quote:
the proportion, considerable both in numbers and in means of action, of the Irish-American element in Council, would introduce procedures of discussion and propaganda more in accord with democratic usage than with ecclesiastical traditions.
Cardinal Bonzano was concerned about
Quote:
the danger that a certain number of bishops, especially foreigners, would try to emphasize their own rights, in opposition to the prerogatives of the primacy of the Supreme Pontiff, under the pretext that Rome centralizes too much.
Cardinal Merry del Val (Pope St. Pius X's secretary of state) asked:
Quote:
Would it really be possible to prevent the world press from disturbing and confusing the work of the Ecumenical Council? In 1870 the Pope was master in his own house and the press did not yet have the ability it now has to penetrate everywhere, to spy, and to set traps. Would it be possible to prevent it from acting more or less openly within the Council itself, stirring up people, creating dissension, inhibiting the work, and compromising the result of the debates in the Council itself?
Also:
St. Gregory Nazienzen wrote:
I never saw a council assembled without danger and inconvenience.... To speak truly, I must say that I avoid, as much as I can, assemblies of priests and bishops; I never saw so much as one concluded in a happy and agreeable manner, and which did not tend rather to increase evils than to remove them.
(source)

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: Cardinals Billot and Merry del Val argue against a counc
Thanks Alan, that essay is a treasure!

There should never have been a council, at least not in the traditional form. That was the view of all the wise men of the time. Events certainly proved them right!

I loved this little tale:
Quote:
Cardinal Ruffini repeated his appeal for a Council: The conviction that a Council would be highly useful grew in me when, in the summer of 1950, received in audience at Castel Gandolfo, I opened my heart and said, "Most blessed Father, I want humbly to offer you heartfelt congratulations..." "Perhaps," he intrrupted me, "for the Encyclical Humani generis." I timidly answered, "Yes, Holy Father, for that splendid document too." "It was quite necessary," Pius XII replied in a resolute voice, "everything was being lost!" The remark was like a sharp sword entering me; I was familiar with many errors, theories more or less subversive in matters of faith and morals; but I wouldn't have come to make a judgement so disconcerting. "I must admit," I said to myself, "the evil is much greater than I thought."

So the fact that he felt that Humani generis was "disconcerting" had not escaped Pius XII. :)

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Cardinals Billot and Merry del Val argue against a counc
John Lane wrote:
I loved this little tale:
Quote:
Cardinal Ruffini repeated his appeal for a Council: The conviction that a Council would be highly useful grew in me when, in the summer of 1950, received in audience at Castel Gandolfo, I opened my heart and said, "Most blessed Father, I want humbly to offer you heartfelt congratulations..." "Perhaps," he intrrupted me, "for the Encyclical Humani generis." I timidly answered, "Yes, Holy Father, for that splendid document too." "It was quite necessary," Pius XII replied in a resolute voice, "everything was being lost!" The remark was like a sharp sword entering me; I was familiar with many errors, theories more or less subversive in matters of faith and morals; but I wouldn't have come to make a judgement so disconcerting. "I must admit," I said to myself, "the evil is much greater than I thought."

So the fact that he felt that Humani generis was "disconcerting" had not escaped Pius XII. :)
Oh, yes! That's a memorable passage from that essay.

I also liked the quote he began his essay with:
St. Gregory Nazienzen wrote:
I never saw a council assembled without danger and inconvenience.... To speak truly, I must say that I avoid, as much as I can, assemblies of priests and bishops; I never saw so much as one concluded in a happy and agreeable manner, and which did not tend rather to increase evils than to remove them.
Reminds me of St. Thomas's De Modo Studendi:
Quote:
I command you to be slow to speak, and slow to go to the conversation room [or council…]. … Love spending much time in your cell, if you want to be led into the wine cellar. … Do not get involved at all in the discussions and affairs of lay people. … Avoid conversations about all any and every matter. … Do not consider who the person is you are listening to, but whatever good he says commit to memory.

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:24 am
Profile E-mail