It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 am

Elizabeth I and Benedict XVI 
Site Admin

New post Elizabeth I and Benedict XVI
Reading ambassador Scaramelli's letter reporting the death of Elizabeth I, this passage stood out very strikingly:

Quote:
The same day she spoke of certain things which weighed upon her conscience, and recalled to mind the death of the Earl of Essex. Then rising to topics of religion, she said that she had been at war with Pontiffs and princes, and touched upon two principal points of variance from the Church of Rome, the use of the vernacular in prayers, and the question of the Sacrament, upon which I will not enlarge; enough that from her remarks and from her prayers that God would not reckon against her in the next life the blood of priests shed by her, there are some Catholics about court who think that in her inner sentiments her Majesty was not far from reconciliation with the true Catholic faith. This view is confirmed, because it was observed that in her private chapel she preserved the altar with images, the organs, the vestments which belong to the Latin rite, and certain ceremonies which are loathed by other heretics; also because upon her death-bed she held the hand of the Archbishop of Canterbury until she had breathed her last, while it is quite certain that he had a disposition towards Catholicism, as he showed by certain external signs, such as his abstention from matrimony, and his use of unleavened bread when administering the sacrament. All this stabs the heretics to the heart, and they would fain silence the report, though all agree that the Queen died as she had lived.

So she died a heretic, but she annoyed the "other heretics" by her attachment to certain external signs of the true religion. I'd say that about summarises Benedict XVI, and it seems equally unlikely that he will die a Catholic either. Tragic, but fascinating.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail