It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 am

Archbishop Fulton Sheen - quote? 

New post Archbishop Fulton Sheen - quote?
I am part of a Catholic moms homeschooling group... one of the ladies in the group posted this in our forum:

"My husband and I are having a discussion and the quote by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen to the Knights of Columbus, June 1972 came up. “Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious act like religious.” "

Does anyone know if +Sheen truly said these words, and if so, in what context and where? All I can find in google is the above quote.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Archbishop Fulton Sheen - quote?
Larie wrote:
I am part of a Catholic moms homeschooling group... one of the ladies in the group posted this in our forum:

"My husband and I are having a discussion and the quote by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen to the Knights of Columbus, June 1972 came up. “Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious act like religious.” "

Does anyone know if +Sheen truly said these words, and if so, in what context and where? All I can find in google is the above quote.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Hi Larie,

I tried to figure this out, and the quote is all over the internet, but I have not been able to find a copy of the speech either in writing, audio or video. It does, though, sound like something he would say. +Sheen was not happy at all with the liberal changes after Vatican II.

This site gives the most extensive archive of his works but it does not date the material. A lot of the audio files are free, and it is possible that the Knights of Columbus (1972) speech could be buried somewhere in the material. If I do come across anything else I will post it here for you. http://www.fultonsheen.com/Fulton-Sheen ... m?artid=19

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:16 pm

This has nothing to do with the quote you are searching for, but in this video on Blessed John XXIII, Archbishop Sheen seems to get somewhat into the Ecumenical Spirit of Vatican II. I found it particularly noteworthy because in the past he had spoken out so vehemently against Communism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcVpg8qctQ

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Thomas wrote:
This has nothing to do with the quote you are searching for, but in this video on Blessed John XXIII, Archbishop Sheen seems to get somewhat into the Ecumenical Spirit of Vatican II. I found it particularly noteworthy because in the past he had spoken out so vehemently against Communism.

Thomas,

I listened to the video. It appears that the bishop was getting getting into the ecumenical mindset, although his words could be interpreted that all were welcome to the Council to facilitate their conversion. It could be interpreted either way. But, if he was speaking in the ecumenical way, it isn't surprising, as this was the road that so many bishops and priests went who were once orthodox during the reign of Pius XII, and then transformed in the 1960's and 70's into modernists.

This was the sad fact of so many who were led over the cliff by Conciliar "popes" who led Catholics out of the Church. I wonder though, if Bishop Sheen corrected himself later, when he complained about the liberalism around him. I remember one talk in which he complained very strongly against the liberal nuns who were no longer wearing their veils.

I do not know if you are aware, but most people on this forum do not recognize John Paul II, so we do not consider John XXIII a blessed. Further, many on here consider John XXIII himself either not a pope or a doubtful pope.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 am

Mike wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Thomas,

I listened to the video. It appears that the bishop was getting getting into the ecumenical mindset, although his words could be interpreted that all were welcome to the Council to facilitate their conversion. It could be interpreted either way. But, if he was speaking in the ecumenical way, it isn't surprising, as this was the road that so many bishops and priests went who were once orthodox during the reign of Pius XII, and then transformed in the 1960's and 70's into modernists.

This was the sad fact of so many who were led over the cliff by Conciliar "popes" who led Catholics out of the Church. I wonder though, if Bishop Sheen corrected himself later, when he complained about the liberalism around him. I remember one talk in which he complained very strongly against the liberal nuns who were no longer wearing their veils.

I do not know if you are aware, but most people on this forum do not recognize John Paul II, so we do not consider John XXIII a blessed. Further, many on here consider John XXIII himself either not a pope or a doubtful pope.

Mike,

Yes, I am aware of the position of most of the people on this forum, and it is a position that I hold as most probable as well. I was merely referring to the title of the video, not that I personally believe that John XXIII is “Blessed”.

Also we have to take into account that this was a popular television program targeted to general audiences, not just Catholics, so I think we in charity have to give Bishop Sheen the benefit of doubt that his meaning was, as you say, that the Council was a call to conversion to all people. I do not pretend to know or to divine what Bishop Sheen's mindset was in regard to the changes brought about by the Council. I can only imagine that he was very distressed by the liberalism and the general deterioration that followed in its aftermath.

I was, however, taken back a bit by his reference to Communists, since listening to so many of his talks and watching episodes of “Life is Worth Living”, I have known him to be very outspoken against the evils of Communism. But then, even Communists need to be converted, don't they? :)

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:30 am
Profile E-mail

Thomas,

I agree with you that we should and must give Bishop Sheen the benefit of the doubt. When I was young, I used to listen to Bishop Sheen as my mother (God rest her soul) had many tapes from him. I have only had great admiration for him and his witnessing to the Faith over the years. I have the hope that if he did at any time believe any error it was through the confusion of the times, and was due to ignorance on his part.

I believe that the good bishop did tremendous good through his work on the tv and radio, reaching out and teaching not only Catholics but helping to educate Protestants as well. I cannot think of a better example off the top of my head of a Catholic fulfilling the use of television as envisioned in the teaching of Pius XII. http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12MIRAN.HTM

God bless and thanks for your insights.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:07 am