It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:31 am

BlessedLuigi Orione 

New post BlessedLuigi Orione
Blessed Luigi Orione was a passionate emotional and holy priest. He was known for his quick temper, which he struggled all his life to subdue. One episode is rather humorous account of this,and at the same time testifies to the sanctity of one of our century's other saints.
  While a seminarian, Luigi heard some disturbing news from his father.  A good friend of Luigi, was also a seminarian, was a student and a music school in Venice. The rector of the school, a certain Venetian cardinal, was apparently showering a talented young student with attention, thus forming what is looked down upon and seminary and religious life as a particular friendship. Certainly this was a danger to the vocation and sanctity of the Saint's friend.
  Luigi, furious over the Cardinals impropriety, wrote him a scathing letter of criticism. The letter was mailed before he realized the gravity  of  his action. Imagine a seminarian chastising a prince of the church! But it was too late. The deed having been done, the  Luigi waited for the repercussions, but nothing came from Venice except the parcel he received on the eve of his ordination. The parcel contained a gift of new cloth for a cassock. Luigi assumed it was from his musician friend.
   Years  later, when the priest was seeking approval for his new order, the Sons of Divine Providence, he was granted an audience with the Pope, an audience which he dreaded with good reason. The Pope was before  ascending to the chair of Peter, the rector of the music school in Venice. Father Luigi presented the rules for his order to the Pontiff, receiving not only the latter's approval, but also a gift of money and some needed encouragement.
   At the end of his meeting, the Pontiff showed Father Orione  a piece  of paper he kept in his  breviary. It was the very letter Luigi had impetuously  written so many years before. The Holy Father  said, "Even  the Pope you know, needs frequently to be reminded of the need for humility.
For this reason I reason   I have your letter and have it with me all the time. By the way, did you get the material alright for your first cassock as a priest. Apparently the lesson worked, because that Pope-Pope Pius X - was canonized a saint in 1954.

Taken from From the Housetops 1994

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: BlessedLuigi Orione
Sincerely speaking, I LOVE this story.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am
Profile E-mail