It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:59 am

Film of High Mass Easter 1940 

New post Film of High Mass Easter 1940
This is a great film of the Mass, and dubbed into it are explanations of the Mass by then Msgr. Fulton Sheen. This film, in addition to being an uplifting look into the pre-Vatican II Church, is in my view a great way of teaching Catholics the difference between the Novus Ordo and the Mass. Last, it could be a great teaching tool for children.

When I watch this Mass, I yearn to be there, seeing my home with those Catholics, but then I remember that Providence has put me here for a reason.

From the site:

http://archive.org/details/CatholicTridentineLatinMass

Quote:
A Traditional Catholic Latin Mass filmed on Easter Sunday in 1940 at Our Lady of Sorrows church in Chicago. The film presents the ceremonies of the Missa Solemnis or Solemn High Mass in full detail with narration by then-Mgr. Fulton J. Sheen. Celebrated by Rev. J. R. Keane of the Order of Servites (hence the white habits and cowls), the ceremonies are accompanied by a full polyphonic choir, orchestra, and fifty Gregorian Chanters.

While this is an older video of the Traditional Latin Mass, it is a good educational video that is still relevant even today. The attention to detail in the ceremonies is impressive. Notice, for example, how the servers and ministers always take great care to move in order. Notice too that the servers are all almost identical in height. The Ordinary of the Mass, composed by Rev. Edwin V. Hoover, while pleasant in places, is very much a reflection of its time. The Proper on the other hand is timeless and sung admirably by a healthy throng of Seminarians from Mundelein, Illinois.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 pm