It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:05 pm

The Atheism Tapes 

New post The Atheism Tapes
I can hardly believe that the BBC still produce stuff like this:

It's a half hour conversation between an atheist and the professor of theology at Cambridge (I'm not sure but I think he's a Catholic). Much of the conversation examines whether the question why is there something rather than nothing is a question at all, which put me in mind of Fr Coplestone's discussion with Russell (they refer to this argument themselves). There were I think moments where Turner is talking past Miller- Miller rather obviously should have been corrected when he gets the wrong end of a couple of sticks- but as a presentation of St Thomas' arguments on creation ex nihilo I thought this was pretty well on the money. At any rate, I enjoyed it.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: The Atheism Tapes
Thanks James, I greatly enjoyed it too.

When the professor says, for example, towards the end, that getting to the point where you see that you can't explain things is what we call theology, I beg to differ. It's really a starting point for Natural Theology, the recognition that existence is the central or prime predicate and that all of our experience of it through the senses is of caused existence, and that this implies an Uncaused Existence; but I don't think that it's theology itself (despite the fact that it's found in books of Natural Theology!). Theology is knowledge, not that first point he is talking about which is nescience, even if it is an uncomfortable nescience which demands to be demolished.

Anyway, one wonders that honest and thoughtful people like this can still be in positions such as his at Cambridge! Perhaps because he is really a philosopher, not a theologian, so he is not uncomfortable going along to all manner of false worship and joining in...

Mon May 05, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail