It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Only Boys Aloud 

New post Only Boys Aloud
Only Boys Aloud is a choir based in South Wales made up of boys aged 14–19. It was set up in 2010 by choral director Tim Rhys-Evans and members of Only Men Aloud.

Besides the choral function, the choir also has a social side. They intend to give the participating boys a way to broaden their horizons, grow in ability and self-confidence and keep them out of trouble.

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Only Boys Aloud
Edifying!
I do hope that many of those young fellas can benefit from that and learn to control their "new" voices and go on to bigger and better things.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 am
Profile E-mail

Odd,

Some of them no doubt will progress into "Only Men Aloud." This was the original Welsh male choir formed in 2008 and directed by Tim Rhys-Evans, who then formed (and directs) the boys choir in 2010. I haven't looked into what kind of trouble he was trying to keep the men out of when he put together the original choir... The music for the mens' choir doesn't seem to be traditional choral music from the little I've heard.

But I thought the boys were sweeties and the project is a good thing in natural terms.

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am
Profile E-mail

Yair, righto.
Next time you're talking to the director suggest that the boys might perform better and look better if their arms weren't dangling gibbon-like.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 am
Profile E-mail

Talking to the director??? What kind of circles do you think I move in? Still like those boys though even if their arms do behave like gawky teenagers in themselves. :-)

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am
Profile E-mail

Katie wrote:
Talking to the director??? What kind of circles do you think I move in? Still like those boys though even if their arms do behave like gawky teenagers in themselves. :-)

Quote:
What kind of circles do you think I move in?

Well, the same as me, of course.
Anyhow, try hooking your hands together in "monkey grip" just below your rib cage. It almost forces one to stand straight, head up, chest full... ready for a good sing.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail