A sort of fairy ground,
Where suns unsetting light the sky
And flowers and fruits abound.

But when Thy keener, purer beam
Is poured upon our sight,
It loses all its power to charm,
And what was day is night.

CARDINAL NEWMAN.

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Life's Little Day
Through Peace to Light

I do not ask, O Lord, that life may be
A pleasant road;
I do not ask Thou would'st take from me
Aught of its load.

I do not ask that flowers should always spring
Beneath my feet;
I know too well the poison and the sting
Of things too sweet.

For one thing only, Lord, I plead,
Lead me aright
Though strength should falter, and though
Heart should bleed -
Through peace to light.

I do not ask, O Lord, that Thou should'st shed
Full radiance here;
Give but a ray of peace, O Lord, that I may tread
Without a fear.

ADELAIDE ANNE PROCTER.

On the last day, when the general examination takes place, there will be no question at all on the text of Aristotle, the aphorisms of Hippocrates, or the paragraphs of Justinian. Charity will be the whole syllabus.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Knowing the time: that is now the hour for us to awake from sleep. For now our salvation is near than when we first believed. The night is far spent, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light. As in the day let us walk becomingly.

ROM. 13. 11-13

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am
Profile E-mail

Blessed Master of my life, save me this day from the spirit of idleness, discouragement, ambition, and from all vain and frivolous talk. Grant me, I pray Thee, a spirit of temperance, humility, patience, purity, and love. O, my one Lord and King, give me grace to see my offenses, and not to judge or blame my brother, for Thine own sake, who art blessed forever. Amen.

ST. EPHREM

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 am
Profile E-mail

Katie wrote:
Blessed Master of my life, save me this day from the spirit of idleness, discouragement, ambition, and from all vain and frivolous talk. Grant me, I pray Thee, a spirit of temperance, humility, patience, purity, and love. O, my one Lord and King, give me grace to see my offenses, and not to judge or blame my brother, for Thine own sake, who art blessed forever. Amen.

ST. EPHREM

Oh dear!!
There's nothing left for me to do!

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 am
Profile E-mail

Oldavid wrote:
Katie wrote:

ST. EPHREM

Oh dear!!
There's nothing left for me to do!

:lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Odd,

You can hope for a better poem tomorrow!

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Every day is a gift I receive from Heaven, let me enjoy today that which it bestows on me; it belongs not more to others than to me, and tomorrow belongs to no one.

ABBE DE MAUCROIX

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 am
Profile E-mail

Only from day to day
The life of a wise man runs;
What matter if seasons far away
Have glooms or have double suns?

Like a tide our work should be -
Each later wave the best;
Today is a king in disguise.
Today is the special test.

Like a sawyer's work is life:
The present makes the flaw,
And the only field for strife
Is the inch before the saw.

JOHN BOYLE O'REILLY

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 am
Profile E-mail

Every one is made for his day; he does the work in his day; what he does is not the work of any other day, but of his own day.

CARDINAL NEWMAN

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Every day is a fresh beginning;
Listen, my soul, to the glad refrain,
And, spite of old sorrow and older sinning,
And puzzles forecasted and possible pain,
Take heart with the day, and begin again.

THE AVE MARIA

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:23 am
Profile E-mail

Live the true life of man today. Not yesterday's life only, lest you become a murmurer, nor tomorrow's lest you become a visionary; but the life of today, with happy yesterday's and confident tomorrows.

FATHER FABER

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Each day is like a furrow lying before us; our thoughts, desires, and actions are the seed that each minute we drop into it, without seeming to perceive it. The furrow finished, we begin upon another, then another, and again another; each day presents a fresh one, and so on to the end of life sowing, ever sowing. And all we have sown springs up, grows and bears fruit, almost unknown to us, even if by chance we cast a backward glance we fail to recognize our work.

GOLD DUST

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Sow with a generous hand;
Pause not for toil or pain;
Sow and look onward, upward;
You shall reap in joy the harvest
You have sown today in tears.

ADELAIDE ANNE PROCTER

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:31 pm
Profile E-mail

We should find great peace if we would imbue ourselves with this thought, that we are here solely to accomplish the Will of God; that that Will is accomplished from day to day; and the he who dies leaving his work unfinished is just as far advanced in the eyes of Supreme Justice as he who has leisure to accomplish it fully.

FREDERIC OZANAM.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Ah, that is just what I needed to hear if I do say so myself. :)

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail

One day is the same as another. Prayer, worldly business, calls to be devout, charitable, and faithful; these are the duties that each hour brings in its turn, and if I am faithful in their fulfillment, God will always be ready to help me, and then what signifies a little weariness, pain or misfortune?

GOLD DUST.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile E-mail

You will always be glad in the evening, if you have spent the day profitably.

THOMAS a KEMPIS.

- St. Robert Bellarmine

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile E-mail