It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 am

Archbishop Lefebvre's visit to Oyster Bay in '83 
Site Admin

New post Archbishop Lefebvre's visit to Oyster Bay in '83
This is Fr. Cekada's report of the matter:

"In the autumn of 1979, Archbishop Lefebvre issued a declaration in which he stated that he would not tolerate in the Society of Saint Pius X those who refused to place the name of John Paul II in the canon of the Mass. He dismissed a number of priests in Europe for refusal to observe the dictum. In the spring of 1980, he came to America with the same agenda: to dismiss those who would not say the name of John Paul II in the canon.

"In the course of the negotiations with the American priests, however, Archbishop Lefebvre came to a compromise, of sorts. He would not throw out the priests from the Society of Saint Pius X, if they would agree to keep their sedevacantism to themselves. They could leave out John Paul's name from the canon, as long as they did not make a public issue out of it. Opinionism was born. The Archbishop himself would formulate the fundamental tenet of opinionism: "I do not say that the pope is not the pope, but I do not say either that one cannot say that the pope is not the pope."

I suggest that this report needs parsing.

1. Archbishop Lefebvre expelled one priest and one seminarian, and the seminarian he had stay for another year, ordained him, and then let him go. So he expelled a total of two priests for public sedevacantism, and none for private sedevacantism. It's obvious that he didn't regard sedevacantism as "schismatic" or he'd hardly have continued training a sedevacantist and then ordained him, so that he could go off into the world as a schismatic priest!
2. Fr. Egregyi resigned when he heard about this declaration, and the District Superior of France rushed up to see him in Belgium to let him know that the declaration was for public consumption only. There was no need for him to leave. He left anyway.
3. Fr. Cekada and Co. were certainly understandably fearful when Archbishop Lefebvre was coming to see them. I wonder if their fears led them to think he was about to expel them. Certainly Fr. Joseph Collins didn't think that. His impression was quite the opposite. He thought that the letter of demand that they prepared for the Archbishop, which did not mention the pope issue, was designed to force the Archbishop to expel the Nine. And it worked - he did expel them once he read it, seeing that they were incorrigible.
4. The "compromise" that the Archbishop "came to in the course of the negotiations" had already been his policy from the beginning of the Society. The expulsion of one priest and the announcement that the seminarian was to be let go after he was ordained a year later, were the exceptions.

We need an authoritative history of the SSPX, cutting through the jaundiced views of pro-sedevacantist and anti-sedevacantists alike.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

New post Re: Archbishop Lefebvre's visit to Oyster Bay in '83
I might as well add some more related data for reference.

A seminarian who was the son of a very well-known sedevacantist was ordained by the Archbishop, during the 1980s, and was given permission not to name John Paul II in the Canon. I don't publish his name so as not to prejudice him.

The Abbe Coache was another known sedevacantist who was on excellent terms with the Archbishop. The Abbe Coache (1920-1994), Doctor of Canon Law, was the pastor of the parish of Montjavoult until 1973, when his Modernist bishop dismissed him for refusing the new mass etc. He was one of the pioneers of the Catholic resistance against the Conciliar revolution. His parish bulletin evolved into The Combat for the Faith, which was widely distributed, and which he edited until his death. He organized with Mgr. Ducaud-Bourget the epic taking of St. Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris, France, in Febru­ary 1977.

Regarding Fr. Raffali, another sedevacantist (who last I heard, was still receiving frequent visits from SSPX priests, and from Bishop Tissier): http://strobertbellarmine.net/Chap-8-L% ... Etoile.htm

And from John Daly, who knows him:

John Daly wrote:
Fr Raffali , when he was a seminarian in 1958, was providentially inspired to found an annual camp near Lourdes for orphans. He has run it every year since then for over a month each year.

A lady left him some land and a building in her will: it is just about five miles from Lourdes, high up on a hill. He has done further building.

He has a special gift or grace dealing with children and the emotionally disturbed. Sensing the coming revolution, he asked his bishop (diocese oif Nîmes, far from Lourdes), to depute him permanently to work for deprived children, which he is still doing.

He has a school and a church near Nîmes and the summer camp near Lourdes. The French social services send some difficult children to him. Most children at his school and camp are now not orphans or deprived, they are just sent there by good Catholic parents wanting the best education for their children.

In the 70s and early 80s Archbishop Lefebvre sent his seminarians for pastoral experience to Fr Raffali's summer camp.

Fr Raffali does not recognise the conciliar popes and Archbishop Lefebvre knew this.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

And a news story from this April (translated by Google) regarding Fr. Raffali's institution being vandalised (and some interesting names mentioned):

The "Work of the Star" Fr. Raffali vandalized.

The property, near Lourdes, in the "Work of the Star" Raffali of RP, was vandalized: doors smashed in shots ax, water intake pipes and exhaust torn, broken taps, stealing 60 pairs of sheets, many dishes, etc ...

The "Work of the Star" founded over fifty years, welcomes children considered difficult. The house is of Lourdes
Schedule a property frequented during the summer holidays. I have personally led twice at the site of Archbishop Lefebvre
work, near Nimes. I remember our first trip. We had arranged to meet at the exit of Highway Nimes. We had just to get there when I saw tumbling, high speed "large displacement" motorcycle mounted by a cassock! Father Raffali was a follower of the bike (I was told he had competed?)

Abbe de Cacqueray, Fr. Innocent Marie of Avrillé, Fr. John, of Morgon participated in the work of Jubilee, celebrated in 2007.

The names are interesting, because Dumb Ox, of Ignis Ardens, who seems to be in the know with the opponents of the deal, names Fr. de Cacqueray as a solid opponent, along with the Morgon community (Franciscans, I think). Fr. Innocent Marie is the Superior of the Dominicans, at which house the three bishops met to discuss their opposition to the deal. These three priests associating with Fr. Raffali is a good sign, as is that of Bishop Tissier. It doesn't mean they are sedevacantists, just that they are not anti-sedevacantists, just like Archbishop Lefebvre.

Tue May 22, 2012 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Another sedevacantist priest we knew, who as far as I know is still operating in France, and when we (my wife and I) met him and enjoyed his company was Fr. Guipin.

Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm
Profile E-mail